Michael Conlin & Peter Kelly built the Ormsby Schoolhouse in 1921
for $1200. It replaced the first school, which had burned down earlier
that year. In the interim school was held in the Catholic Church
(across the highway).
The new school was built on the same foundation as the original but was
designed with windows on the south and west sides only, this was the
policy of the education authorities of that era. The north and east
sides, subject to cold winter winds, were used for blackboard space.
Since all students were forced to write with their right hands, the
shadows cast by their hands from the natural light from the left did
not cover their work.
Hydro and electric lights came to Ormsby in 1950. In the 1930's two
chemical toilets were installed just inside the front door sharing
space with two small cloakrooms and a teacher's room containing a small
library. At some point the original tin ceilings and walls were covered
with tongue and groove boards.
For a time two church groups, the Methodists and the Baptists, held
services at the school alternating every other Sunday. Teachers
included Gertie Gunter, Charles Maxwell, Hazel Graham, Albert Giles,
Margaret (Kellar) Foster, Mr. Wells, Mrs. Bland, Mr. McKillican, Hazel
Liddle, Mr. Hanes, Mrs. Jean Gordon, Alta Reid, Gerald Loynes, Jean
Cummings & Gary Ellis who taught in 1963-64, the year SS#3 was
Gus Mullen bought the school and stored hay in the building. Next Jean
Park owned the school and rented it to a mining company. They were
drilling in the area and used the space to analyse core samples. Later
the school was used as a base camp for a student summer project and
next for weekly flea markets. Though in rough shape the school was not
The school was restored
during the summer of 1997 by Ernie & Debbie Pattison for their
wedding reception. A kitchen addition was added in 2002 for the Tea
photo album: restoration